Cure for Tech Frustrations
August 28, 2009 8:13 AM
Someone should probably sell these. (via Swiss Miss)
Tuesday Tab Sweep
August 18, 2009 3:36 PM
Nine Essential Characteristics of Good UX Designers - Passion should be a the top of the list.
Book review: Wrench in the System by Harold Hambrose – Might be a good read for the executive in your life who hasn’t yet seen the light.
Refreshing Three HCI Laws: If you’ve never heard of Fitts' Law, Hick's Law, and the Power Law of Practice, here’s a quick recap.
Front End Concerns When Implementing Faceted Search - Part 1 - Daniel Tunkelang, Chief Scientist at Endeca, walks you through implementing a Faceted Search.
Managing UI complexity – An interaction designer discusses the various techniques he’s used to reduced the visual complexity of the application he’s designing.
Restarting the New Zealand Calendar of UX Events
July 20, 2009 11:23 AM
I’ve been talking to a few Auckland-based User Experience (UX) folk recently - discussing how we can better connect, network, learn and be inspired.
In my talks, I’ve noticed that not everyone is necessarily aware of all the various UX-related events already happening in Auckland, so I thought it would be a good idea to restart my UX Calendar of Events.
The UX Calendar lists each event individually, but here’s a brief overview of what’s already happening in Auckland:
- Auckland Web Meetup - John Ballinger & friends organise a great event, typically with 3 speakers each time, so there's usually at least one topic of interest. And there's free beer and pizza, and drinks afterwards - good opportunity for networking.
- Auckland UX Book Club – Two books successfully discussed so far, and the group is growing. Thanks to Peter Grierson for kicking this off this year!
- Auckland Pecha Kucha – Initially started by the Architecture crowd in Auckland, but topics vary and provide a great insight into how other creatives work and think. I love the format: 6 minute presentation means you never get bored.
- Girl Geek Dinners – Monthly dinners for the more geeky women amongst us, but I’m sure they’re welcoming to everyone...
- DINZ run occasional events, such as Designers Speak Plurals. The next one is in Auckland on 29th July. Looks like a great line-up of speakers.
- YMedia are currently running the YMediaChallenge.
- Design Assembly put together an evening of talks and discussion for Graphic Designers four times a year. The next one is on 30th September.
- There are even rumours of an upcoming TEDx event in Auckland (Oct 1?). More info shortly.
Let me know if I’ve missed any…
Stalking Your Users: How to Conduct User Research in the Real World
July 10, 2009 10:35 AM
As part of the Webstock Master Class series of workshops, Alex Wright will be presenting a workshop on 'Stalking Your Users: How to Conduct User Research in the Real World' on Wednesday 19 August.
Some links of interest…
July 7, 2009 5:40 PM
- Articles in NZ press advocating user-centred design = GOOD: Introducing user-centred web design – Computerworld
- Free online book on search interface design by the doyenne of (faceted) search: Search User Interfaces - Marti Hearst
- Stephen Few reviews Connie Malamed's Visual Language for Designers: Visual Business Intelligence - At Last, a Scientific Approach to Infographics
- "One of the most interesting and exciting phases of the AppLab work was the rapid prototyping”: Grameen’s AppLab comes of age - Build it Kenny, and they will come...